Welcome to our blog series, “Meet a CoMotion Labs Member.” These posts offer a peek into the groundbreaking work CoMotion Labs startups do and why they do it here. CoMotion Labs provides a multi-industry incubation environment for early-stage startups with a focus on UW spinoffs. Stay tuned for profiles about startups that work in one of our three incubators on the UW Seattle campus, each focusing on a particular industry sector: life sciences and hardware in Fluke Hall, and technology in Startup Hall.
Where: CoMotion Labs, hardware incubator at Fluke Hall
Joined: June 2021
- Krista Donaldson – CEO
- Boston Nyer – COO
- Mike Eisenstein – Director of New Product Development
- Dylan Guelig – Senior Design Engineer
- Geneva Goldwood – Product Development Engineer
What is your startup all about?
Equalize Health is a not-for-profit medical technology company with a global team of award-winning designers, engineers, medical professionals, and business minds. We have offices in India, Kenya, and the USA. Over one million patients in 78 countries have been treated with our world-class, affordable medical devices. We work to scale our life-saving products across the globe to wherever they are most needed with a specific focus in regions where health equity gaps are largest, including South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
What problem do you solve?
Equalize Health believes in a world where we all have access to world-class medical treatment, no matter where we live. Millions of people suffer and die from preventable or treatable conditions simply because they don’t have access to the right treatment. Equalize Health is on a mission to change that. We do this by:
- Identifying the biggest gaps and opportunities in health care where tech can do the most good
- Designing affordable, world-class medical products that work in the toughest circumstances
- Partnering with both global and local actors to ensure our products get to those who need them most
Equalize Health accelerates locally-driven solutions globally. We think local and act global to close the gaps in some of the world’s biggest health disparities, especially those impacting mothers and newborns.
What’s the latest?
Equalize Health’s primary goal is to help achieve Sustainable Development Goals 3.1 & 3.2 – to drastically reduce the global mortality rates of women and newborns by 2030.
We have launched a Catalytic Campaign to accelerate getting our life-saving technologies to the people who need them the most. We are raising $15M over the next three years (2021-23) that will enable us to achieve the following 2025 Equalize Health impact goals:
- Design and launch five+ medical products to market that address leading causes of maternal and newborn mortality
- Treat 5M patients with our world-class, affordable medical technology
- Train 5,000 healthcare workers through Equalize Health’s peer tele-mentoring clinics
Do you have any startup advice?
Find an amazing co-founder or founding team!
About CoMotion Labs: CoMotion Labs, a self-sustaining membership-supported program of UW CoMotion, provides a multi-industry incubation environment for early-stage startups with a focus on UW spinoffs. From critical infrastructure (desks, dry benches, wet lab space, and prototyping capabilities) to just-in-time learning, mentoring, and networking, CoMotion Labs nurtures company growth and enables success. Our labs operate in three locations on the UW Seattle campus — two in Fluke Hall and one in Startup Hall.